Tikkun Olam is the social action arm of Temple Beth Abraham. Tikkun Olam, literally means, “to heal the world.” The mission of TBA’s Tikkun Olam team is to inform, engage, and mobilize our members to build a better world. They do this globally and locally, as Jews, as citizens, and as members of the global community. Projects range from donating to local food pantry, to supporting efforts to transform food distribution methods around the world. From bringing food and supplies to homeless people in NYC, to rebuilding communities hit by natural disasters nationwide. From writing a check, to swinging a hammer, to calling a Congress person.
The co-chairs of the Tikkun Olam Team are Melissa Baer and Andrea White. You may reach them at email@example.com
Tikkun Olam Monthly Mitzvot
We offer easy to perform Mitzvot every month focusing on a particular Jewish value.
FOR MAY WE FOCUS ON CARING FOR ANIMALS
Tsa’ar Ba’alei Chaim צער בּעלי חיים
Crafts for a Cause
We have supplies but any donations of yarn and knitting needles are always appreciated. For further information, please email Joyce Licker: firstname.lastname@example.org
TBA Cares provides meals for congregants who have lost loved ones. Volunteers stand ready to help set up or clean up at shiva, to shop for someone who is ill or recovering from surgery, or to provide a congregant a ride to or from a doctor appointment or the synagogue for an event or services. Contact email@example.com if you need assistance or if you wish to volunteer.
THIS MONTH WE ARE COLLECTING:
- Dog and Cat food for the Hudson Valley Pet Food Pantry:
- For a list of desired donations, please go to: hvpetfoodpantry.org
OTHER WAYS TO HELP IN MAY:
- Volunteer at Paws Crossed Animal Rescue in Elmsford, NY. Volunteers go through an orientation process and then may help: walking dogs; socializing cats; cleaning kennels and rooms; greeting at adoption events; setting up, cleaning up and staffing events; maintaining the property, and fundraising. For more information, visit PawsCrossedNY.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is a national leader in the areas of rescue, adoption and welfare and has worked tirelessly for over 150 years to put an end to animal abuse and neglect.
- The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) celebrates animals and confronts cruelty—to all animals, not just dogs and cats. It fights to stop large-scale cruelties, such as animal fighting, puppy mills, factory farming, and the wildlife trade.
THANK YOU! TODAH ROBAH תודה רבה
Click on the pictures below to see a larger version of Thank You Letters we received from recipients of our mitzvot!: